RallyRACC - Rally de España
|RallyRACC Catalunya - Rally de España|
- Only mixed surface round of the season as two days of asphalt are blended with a day of primarily gravel.
- After the first full day teams convert their cars from gravel to asphalt specification in a longer than usual evening service to accommodate the surface change.
- Drivers must quickly adapt their driving style to an overnight change in road surface.
- Fast, smooth, sweeping asphalt is comparable to a race circuit in its characteristics.
- First run in 1957 and included in the European Championship from 1975.
- Entered the WRC in 1991 when it was based on the Costa Brava in Lloret de Mar.
- Relocated to Salou in 2002 and after being a pure asphalt event, it developed into a mixed surface event in 2010.
- Sébastien Loeb dominated the rally, winning every year between 2005 and 2012.
- Both asphalt and gravel set-up required for the mixed roads.
- Different tyres are needed for the two surfaces.
- Asphalt is abrasive and if temperatures are hot, drivers must manage tyre wear carefully.