The Toyota Gazoo Racing driver heads to Italy with a 17-point advantage over team-mate Sami Pajari, while Oliver Solberg remains firmly in contention after his victory at Rally Chile Biobío left the leading trio covered by 21 points.
With 35 points still available in Sardegna, Evans knows his advantage offers no guarantees as the Italian gravel fixture prepares to host the championship decider following the cancellation of Rally Saudi Arabia.
“I think in the end it was the right decision [to cancel Rally Saudi Arabia] in terms of overall safety and all the rest of it,” Evans said. “But on the sporting side, actually, it doesn't change too much for me at the moment.
“Of course, there's one less round, and with it being on gravel, if you open the road then Sardinia, of course, will be difficult.
“I think in the end it's still very open going to Sardinia and nothing is guaranteed. In many ways, it's a big job to try and come away from it as the champion.
“You look at Oliver in Chile, where we had a final-day puncture that we don't know where we got it from, he clawed back 20 points on the back of that. So that's the reality of the points system. That's the reality of the sport at the moment, so cruising around is definitely not an option.”
Despite the prize at stake, Evans has no plans to alter his approach and intends to put the championship arithmetic to one side once the action begins.
“I think especially with opening the road, normally in Sardinia it's a significant disadvantage to run first,” he explained. “So, with that in mind, it could be difficult.
“I think we still have to go there as if it was any other round and ignore the championship situation.
“You can't really afford to [think about the lead]. I think it was exactly the same margin as I had to Seb [Ogier] in 2020. I have plenty of experience of what not to do.
“But you know how it turns out. I think it's far less certain than what it appears on paper.”
This year’s visit to Sardegna could also present a different challenge for the crews, with the rally moving from its traditional early-summer slot to October and potentially bringing very different conditions.
For Evans, whether his position at the head of the road order proves as costly as usual will depend heavily on the weather in the build-up to the event.
“It [the effect of opening the road] will depend entirely on the conditions going in,” he added. “If we have a dry week leading up to the event, it will probably be the same as usual, but we will have to wait and see what the weather looks like.”