Friday | 27 May 2022

Millener praises Fourmaux's Portugal approach

M-Sport Ford team principal Richard Millener has praised Adrien Fourmaux’s approach to last week’s Vodafone Rally de Portugal.

Fourmaux arrived in Matosinhos on the back of three consecutive retirements, two of which were caused by heavy crashes in Monte-Carlo and Croatia.  

As such, the Frenchman was under strict instructions from Millener and M-Sport Ford's management to finish the rally and gain experience on his Puma Rally1 gravel debut. 

He eventually finished ninth overall after consistently running inside the top-10 for much of the rally. 

“The approach to Portugal was fairly straightforward for Adrien,” said Millener. “He knew what he had to do – he had to bring the car home with no damage and no drama and he’s done that. 

“He stopped to change a puncture in Amarante and that was a bit of a shame, that cost him a bit of time. But, honestly, I’m happy with what he did.

“He wasn’t running at the ultimate pace, but what he did was rebuild confidence and take experience. That was really important for him here. We’ve moved on and now we can move on again in Sardinia next week.”

Fourmaux was equally relieved to see the finish and admitted that he may take a similar approach to Rally Italia Sardegna (3 - 6 June).

“I did what I was told,” he said. “And next time in Sardinia, I will do what I’m told to do again. I was driving in Portugal with the speed reduced, but the confidence was really starting to come back and I was enjoying the stages.”

Next week’s Alghero-based fixture will mark Fourmaux’s fourth start on the Italian island. He’ll be hoping to eclipse last year’s disappointment, when he slipped off the road on the second stage of the event in Terranova. 

More WRC news