- Road conditions deteriorate with the passage of each car. Debris is pulled onto the surface as drivers cut corners to save vital tenths of a second.
- Rain is an omnipresent threat and ‘incredibly slippery’ are the two words we are likely to hear most frequently from stressed drivers at stage ends in such circumstances.
- Big roadside ditches swallow up wayward cars which stray offline. Huge wooden telegraph poles are no less forgiving.
- An asphalt set-up in theory – but far removed from the specification used on smooth sealed-surface roads like Spain. Big compromises required for roads that will ressemble gravel rather than asphalt in places.
- Pirelli’s P Zero rubber will be available in hard (primary choice) and soft (secondary choice) compounds. The Cinturato RW tyre is on hand if heavy rain leaves standing water in the stages.