- First held in 1974 under the name INA Delta TLX Rally and quickly grew to become a national championship event in the former Yugoslavia.
- Incorporated into the European Championship in 1986 and, after moving to Zagreb, it rose through the ranks to reach the top level of the European series in 2007.
- Economic recession prompted a relocation to Rijeka and then Istria.
- Roll of honour is topped by Slovenia’s Branislav Kuzmič with five wins, followed by home country driver Juraj Šebalj with four.
- Sébastien Ogier won on the WRC’s first visit there in 2021.