Challenge & setup
- Essentially an asphalt rally but unpredictable mountain weather brings varied conditions.
- Competitors must expect snow, ice and dry asphalt - often encountering all in the same stage.
- They must balance the need for grip in winter weather with that required for dry asphalt.
- Shrewd tyre selection providing the best compromise for frequently changing conditions is key.
- Experience and the ability to ‘read’ conditions is vital.
- Asphalt suspension.
- Wacky tyre selections which can include studded rubber on opposite corners of the car, matched with dry weather asphalt rubber.
- Two spare tyres is normal.