- The only true winter round - a classic Rally Sweden will be characterised by frozen roads lined with snow banks. Drivers ‘lean’ cars against the banks to guide them round corners.
- But in warmer temperatures the banks disintegrate on impact and cars can become stuck in the snow.
- Studded tyres are essential and provide remarkable grip but drivers must acclimatise to the ‘floating’ feeling and different braking points.
- When temperatures hover around freezing, the studs tear up the road surface and exposed gravel rips them from the tyres to leave little traction.
- Outdoor servicing in temperatures as low as -25°C makes normally routine jobs slower and tricky for gloved mechanics.
Top Moments 2019