- First held in 1978 and quickly became established as an end-of-season celebration event for rally drivers, track experts and motorcycle racers.
- Early editions featured mixed surfaces, with stages on the track and on gravel link roads within the circuit. From 1985 onwards it became all asphalt.
- Entered the WRC for the first time in the pandemic-affected 2020 season.
- MotoGP legend Valentino Rossi is the Monza master with seven victories between 2006 and 2018.
- WRC stars to taste success there ahead of the rally’s 2020 WRC inclusion include Dani Sordo in 2010 and 2013, nine-time world champion Sébastien Loeb in 2011 and Robert Kubica in 2014.