- The rally was born when former co-driver Silver Kütt, driver Urmo Aava and marketing mastermind Tarmo Hõbe dreamed up the idea for Rally Estonia.
- First held in 2010, when home hero Markko Märtin won, it hosted the European Championship for three years between 2014 and 2016.
- It became popular with manufacturer teams preparing for the WRC fixture in Finland on similar roads.
- In 2019 it was awarded WRC Promotional Event status
- World champion and Estonian favourite Ott Tänak tops the roll of honour with three victories from the nine editions.