18 Dec 08
Subaru World Rally Team driver Petter Solberg is trying to put together a last-minute deal to allow him to compete at the top level in the WRC in 2009, despite his team’s withdrawal.
Petter was told of Subaru’s decision to pull out on Monday, when a representative of the company flew to his home in Monaco to break the news in person.
On Tuesday Petter flew to Torsby, Sweden, to escape the attention of the Norwegian media and to try and broker a deal to keep him in the sport.
Since then Petter has said little about his plans but in a brief interview with Swedish website www.nwt.se he confirmed his desire to return. “The chances are that I will drive in the World Rally Championship next year, but it must happen on a high-level where I can win,” he said.
Solberg added that he had not given up hope of a return with Subaru - the team with which he won the 2003 World Championship. “I’m speaking to the teams in Japan and Prodrive in England to try and know where Subaru stands on everything,” he told NWT.
Otherwise Petter has kept a very low profile. He intended to make a statement on Wednesday but postponed this in the absence of any firm news.
“I really appreciate all the support I’ve got from fans and others in the last two days,” Petter wrote on his website. “I’ve also received massive support from my private sponsors and partners. They all would like to go on with our partnership in the future, even in this difficult situation. I’m sorry for not being available for you all at the moment, but I will be back with more information about the future over the weekend.”