The Czech has risen through the WRC ranks, starting in the two-wheel drive Junior World Rally Championship - which he won in 2009 - then progressing to the 4WD Production championship, which he came close to winning in the same year.
After two seasons in the Super 2000 World Rally Championship he made the jump to World Rally Cars in 2012 and now campaigns a Ford Fiesta RS World Rally Car for the Jipocar Czech national team.
Prokop answered the wrc.com questionnaire to help us understand more about what makes him tick - and to explain why his team manager kicks his butt before each rally.
1) What do you do in the last 30 seconds before you start a stage?
MP: “At 16 seconds I close my driver door, at 11 seconds I select first gear, and at seven seconds I activate the stage mode. With five seconds to go I arm the launch control and hopefully at zero I am leaving the start line.”
2) Apart from your co-driver, who is the most important member of your team and why?
MP: “Compared to the WRC manufacturers we are a small team of just 12 people. All the team members support me and all of them are important to me and for our common success.”
3) Are you superstitious? If so, do you carry anything lucky in your car?
MP: “I did in the past but I always forgot to take it with me, so I gave up and now I don’t have anything for luck in the car. Instead we have a sort of ritual before each rally when my team manager kicks my butt and then the backside of Fiona – my car.”
4) What is your favourite stage in the WRC and why?
MP: “Like many drivers my favourite is the Ouninpohja stage at Rally Finland.”
5) What is the most difficult stage in the WRC and why?
MP: “This is a very difficult question which you can not answer easily. All the stages we are tackling during the WRC season are difficult but each in a different way. For sure the rough stages we find in Greece or Sardinia are tricky but I couldn’t pick out one that was more difficult than the others.”
6) What has been the best moment of your WRC career so far?
MP: ”The best moment for sure was winning the JWRC title in 2009, closely followed by finishing second in PWRC 2009.”
7) What has been the most frightening moment of your career so far?
MP: “Well, in the car nothing has really frightened me so far but the fire we had last year at Rally Germany was crazy. We couldn’t do anything but watch as 500,000 Euros went up within 10 minutes. It was a very sad moment for the team and me. But the frightening thing about this fire was that nobody helped us. Neither the organizer stopped the stage nor other drivers stopped to help. It still makes me angry to think about it.”
8) What is your all time number one pop song and why?
MP: “That’s ‘Forever young’ by Czech pop star Karel Gott.”
9) What would you do if you weren’t a World Rally Championship driver?
MP: “I’d be trying to do it as a hobby instead!”