Wales Rally GB
|Wales Rally GB|
|Stages:||23 (309.86 km)|
- Revised format with a greater emphasis on north Wales.
- Friday’s opening leg mixes the second and third days from 2013, taking in classic central Wales roads in Dyfi, Gartheiniog and Hafren Forests.
- It contains almost half the rally’s competitive distance with only a 15-minute remote service.
- Saturday’s action is closer to the Deeside service park. Most roads are familiar from last year but many will be used in the opposite direction. A short Sunday leg concludes the season.
- Short fan-friendly parkland stages are included on Saturday and Sunday, with Saturday’s Chirk Castle stage on asphalt.
- Fast, tree-lined forest tracks are not technically difficult, but made difficult by muddy and slippery conditions.
- Unpredictable weather can bring, rain, snow, ice and fog.
- Uncertain grip as isolated patches of mud or ice can trap the unwary.
- Logs piled high close to the edge of roads must be avoided at all costs.
- Gravel suspension.
- Soft compound tyres essential in cold, wet conditions.
- Studded tyres are banned – even in extreme winter conditions.
- Founded in 1932, 367 crews entered the inaugural Royal Automobile Club Rally.
- Introduction of forest roads in 1960 transformed the rally into what we know today.
- Route formerly included loops around England, Scotland and Wales but the rally has been based solely in Wales since 2000.
- Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium hosted the WRC’s first indoor stage in 2005.
What’s new for 2014
- Three days of competition after opening Thursday evening leg is axed.
- Thursday night ceremonial start moved from Conwy to Colwyn Bay.
- More driving in the dark as late Saturday afternoon tests increases night-time distance from 24km to 36km.
- The final stage finish of the 2014 FIA World Rally Championship. The 10.59km Brenig test, which has never been used in the rally, ends with a glorious backdrop overlooking Lake Brenig. It’s the live TV Power Stage and the footage will be a match for anywhere else in the championship.
Wales Rally GB 2013