LOTOS 71st Rally Poland
|LOTOS 71st Rally Poland|
- Based in Mikolajki, several hours north of Warsaw, in Masurian lake district.
- Three Thursday afternoon stages, including one that runs into darkness.
- Friday combines stages in Poland and Lithuania, with remote service in Lithuania at Druskininkai.
- A morning test and two evening stages in Poland sandwich four Lithuanian tests.
- Legs 2 and 3 based in Polish provinces of Warmia and Mazury, east and north-east of Mikolajki.
- Mikolajki Arena will host four super special stages, two under floodlights, with two cars at a time on track.
- Drivers lack experience of the roads as Poland has not featured in WRC since 2009.
- All stages in Lithuania and three in Poland are totally new. The only test used in an identical format to 2009 is at the Mikolajki Arena.
- Very fast roads will see speeds approach those of Rally Finland.
- Tall grass lines many sections, limiting visibility on the approach to corners.
- Grass also hides rocks so cutting corners is a risky pastime.
- Gravel suspension.
- Soft compound tyres are the primary option, but hard rubber will also be available.
- First established in 1921, Rally Poland is one of the world’s oldest rallies.
- It was included in the inaugural WRC season in 1973 when there were only three classified finishers. Four other crews completed the route but were excluded for being out of time.
- It left the calendar and became an asphalt event in the European Championship.
- It returned to WRC in 2009 when Mikko Hirvonen won, after which it was again removed.
What’s new for 2014
- Lithuania features on WRC itinerary for the first time – the 32nd different country to feature in the championship.
- Poland and Lithuania have different time zones but the rally will use Polish time.
- Robert Kubica – a Pole competing on his home event will be HUGE!
- We can’t remember too much about the rally itself from 2009 so…….
- If you are going to watch, then stay on for a few days to enjoy the lakeland area of Masuria. The area is a prime tourist destination famous for its lakes and forests and offering activities such as sailing, kayaking, swimming, angling, walking and cycling.