73rd PZM Rally Poland
|73rd PZM Rally Poland|
|Stages:||21 (306,10 km)|
- Based in Mikolajki, several hours north of Warsaw, in the Masurian lake district.
- The town hosts the start and finish ceremonies and a super special stage next to the service park that is run three times.
- After Thursday evening’s curtain-raiser in Mikolajki, Friday features two loops of four tests north-east of the host town before a repeat of the super special stage - a total of 121.92km.
- Saturday heads further north towards the border with the Russian enclave of Kaliningrad for three stages that are driven twice, before a third and final pass over the Mikolajki super special.
- Four final tests will be held on Sunday, including the Sady Power Stage.
- Very fast roads will see speeds approach those of Rally Finland.
- Tall grass lines many sections, limiting visibility on the approach to corners.
- Grass also hides rocks so cutting corners is a risky pastime.
- Gravel suspension.
- Soft compound tyres are the primary option, but hard rubber will also be available.
- First established in 1921, Rally Poland is one of the world’s oldest rallies.
- It was included in the inaugural WRC season in 1973 when there were only three classified finishers. Four other crews completed the route but were excluded for being out of time.
- It left the calendar and became an asphalt event in the European Championship.
- It returned to WRC in 2009 when Mikko Hirvonen won, after which it was again removed.
- It returned to the championship for a second time in 2014.
What’s new for 2016
- Organisers have changed 33 per cent of stages since 2015 to make them safer and more attractive for competitors and fans.
- Only four stages are the same as last year (Mikołajki Arena, Gołdap, Świętajno, Wieliczki), while two (Chmielewo and Stare Juchy) have featured in previous years. All others have been modified.
- If you are going to watch, then stay on for a few days to enjoy the lakeland area of Masuria. The area is a prime tourist destination famous for its lakes and forests and offering activities such as sailing, kayaking, swimming, angling, walking and cycling.
PZM Rally Poland: Review Clip
PZM RALLY POLAND