LOTOS 72nd Rally Poland
|LOTOS 72nd Rally Poland|
- Based in Mikolajki, several hours north of Warsaw, in the Masurian lake district.
- The town hosts Thursday afternoon’s start and a super special stage at the arena next to the service park.
- Friday features more than 150km of action with no service from the moment they leave Mikolajki in the morning to when they return in the evening.
- The second leg is closer to the rally base and includes three tests that are driven twice, while Sunday’s final day is within touching distance of the town.
- Mikolajki Arena will host three tests – the only stage that is identical to 2014.
- Very fast roads will see speeds approach those of Rally Finland.
- Tall grass lines many sections, limiting visibility on the approach to corners.
- Grass also hides rocks so cutting corners is a risky pastime.
- Gravel suspension.
- Soft compound tyres are the primary option, but hard rubber will also be available.
- First established in 1921, Rally Poland is one of the world’s oldest rallies.
- It was included in the inaugural WRC season in 1973 when there were only three classified finishers. Four other crews completed the route but were excluded for being out of time.
- It left the calendar and became an asphalt event in the European Championship.
- It returned to WRC in 2009 when Mikko Hirvonen won, after which it was again removed.
- It returned to the championship for a second time in 2014.
What’s new for 2015
- Pretty much everything – almost 90 per cent of the route has changed from last year.
- No stages in Lithuania – the cross-border part of the route has been axed.
- The 39.12km Stanczyki stage, which will be driven twice during Friday’s opening leg, is the longest in Poland’s rallying history.
- Robert Kubica – a Pole competing on his home event will be HUGE!
- If you are going to watch, then stay on for a few days to enjoy the lakeland area of Masuria. The area is a prime tourist destination famous for its lakes and forests and offering activities such as sailing, kayaking, swimming, angling, walking and cycling.
Rally Poland 2015: Review Clip
RALLY POLAND 2015