Rally Italia Sardegna
|Rally Italia Sardegna|
|Stages:||17 (364,5 km)|
- Opening night start ceremony and super special stage in south coast town of Cagliari kicks off new-look route.
- The second day takes competitors to well-known stages in scenic hills and undulating forests south of Olbia.
- Saturday’s leg returns to the same area, before ending with two tests near Sassari in the north. It’s a HUGE day with 188.50km of stages, including two passes of the 59.70km Monte Lerno.
- Sassari stages are repeated on the final day, as well as two runs over a new stage near Alghero.
- Fast but narrow roads lined with bushes, trees or rocks right on the edge leave no room for error.
- Hard base roads covered by a sandy surface, which is swept away during the first pass to leave rougher and rutted conditions for the second run.
- Thin layer of slippery gravel on the surface disadvantages early starters in the opening leg.
- Temperatures approach 30°C so it will be uncomfortable in the cars with higher than normal stress on engines and transmissions.
- Gravel suspension.
- Drivers raise the ride height for rutted roads during the second pass of stages.
- Hard and soft compound tyres available.
- Italy’s WRC counter was formerly a mixed surface event based in Sanremo, and known as the Rally of the Flowers when it was first held in 1928.
- It formed part of the WRC from the championship’s beginning in 1973.
- Michèle Mouton became the first and only woman to win a WRC round when she triumphed in 1981.
- The rally moved to the Mediterranean island of Sardinia in 2004.
What’s new for 2014
- West coast town of Alghero replaces Olbia as the base and location for the service park.
- The island’s capital, Cagliari, welcomes the rally for the first time. Thursday’s start and opening stage will be held there after which cars will be transported back to Alghero.
- Oschiri hosts a remote service during the opening leg.
- Two stages have been combined to form the massive 59.70km Monte Lerno. Could this be the longest stage of the 2014 season?
- The spectacular Micky’s Jump in the Monte Lerno test. The road literally falls away beneath the car and it’s one for the brave and fully committed…….
Rally Italia Sardegna 2014