Rally Italia Sardegna
|Rally Italia Sardegna|
- Rugged and sun-baked gravel tracks offer gruelling conditions amid stunning scenery on the Mediterranean holiday island.
- Rally base and service park are in the west coast town of Alghero with special stages in the north of the island.
- After a super special near Alghero on Thursday evening, crews overnight in Olbia on the opposite coast.
- Friday features four stages run twice for a total of 125.46km, bringing the return of two classic rough and rocky tests - Terranova and Monte Olia.
- Saturday is the longest and toughest leg with 143.16km divided over six stages in the Monte Acuto region.
- Sunday’s finale is identical to 2016, featuring two repeated stages covering 42.04km on the coast north of the host town.
- Fast but narrow roads lined with bushes, trees or rocks right on the edge leave no room for error.
- Hard base roads covered by a sandy surface, which is swept away during the first pass to leave rougher and rutted conditions for the second run.
- Thin layer of slippery gravel on the surface disadvantages early starters in the opening leg.
- Temperatures approach 30°C so it will be uncomfortable in the cars with higher than normal stress on engines and transmissions.