Coates Hire Rally Australia
|Coates Hire Rally Australia|
- Based in Coffs Harbour, almost halfway between Sydney and Brisbane on the New South Wales coast.
- Stages held over a mix of shire roads, in public use throughout the year, and private tracks.
- Compact route which rarely strays more than 35km from Coffs Harbour service park.
- A super special stage next to the service park starts in a former velodrome oval, before breaking out onto town centre streets and finishing back in the oval.
- 2014 route details to be confirmed.
- A mix of hard base roads, some tight and twisty and others fast and flowing.
- Shire roads are lined by trees close to the edge in many places.
- Many stages travel through dense rainforest and the low angle of the sun in mornings and evenings can create a ‘strobe’ effect as it flashes through the branches.
- Gravel suspension.
- Hard compound tyres with soft options also available in case of rain.
- Australia hosted WRC from 1989 to 2006 in the west coast city of Perth.
- Langley Park super special stage next to Swan River provided the template for such tests.
- Won the accolade for the best rally three times in the late 1990s.
- The rally moved to the east coast in New South Wales in 2009 and two years later was relocated to Coffs Harbour in 2011.
What’s new for 2014
- 2014 event details to be confirmed.
- Oscar winning actor Russell Crowe. He owns a cattle farm just outside Coffs Harbour which contains a chapel where he was married in 2011.
- Coffs Harbour is the centre of Australia’s banana industry and the Big Banana is its biggest tourist attraction. It hosts a three-storey high inflatable waterslide, which is the biggest in the world, and a walk though banana. Honestly….