Coates Hire Rally Australia
|Coates Hire Rally Australia|
|Stages:||20 (319.58 km)|
- Based in Coffs Harbour, almost halfway between Sydney and Brisbane on the New South Wales coast.
- Stages held over a mix of shire roads, in public use throughout the year, and private tracks.
- Compact route which rarely strays more than 35km from Coffs Harbour service park.
- After a Thursday evening town centre start ceremony, Friday and Saturday’s route heads south.
- Friday’s itinerary includes the new Hydes Creek test while Saturday’s highlights is two passes over the 49.37km Nambucca, one of the longest stages of the season.
- The final day journeys north of Coffs Harbour.
- A mix of hard base roads, some tight and twisty and others fast and flowing.
- Shire roads are lined by trees close to the edge in many places.
- Many stages travel through dense rainforest and the low angle of the sun in mornings and evenings can create a ‘strobe’ effect as it flashes through the branches.
- Gravel suspension.
- Hard compound tyres with soft options also available in case of rain.
- Australia hosted WRC from 1989 to 2006 in the west coast city of Perth.
- Langley Park super special stage next to Swan River provided the template for such tests.
- Won the accolade for the best rally three times in the late 1990s.
- The rally moved to the east coast in New South Wales in 2009 and two years later was relocated to Coffs Harbour in 2011.
What’s new for 2014
- New mixed surface super special stage which will be run in darkness at the end of Friday and Saturday’s action.
- Service park switches to the Cex Coffs International Stadium, which adjoins the super special stage.
- Oscar winning actor Russell Crowe. He owns a cattle farm just outside Coffs Harbour which contains a chapel where he was married in 2011.
- Coffs Harbour is the centre of Australia’s banana industry and the Big Banana is its biggest tourist attraction. It hosts a three-storey high inflatable waterslide, which is the biggest in the world, and a walk though banana. Honestly….