Xion Rally Argentina
|Xion Rally Argentina|
|Stages:||12 (342,59 km)|
|Servicepark:||Villa Carlos Paz|
- Based in the lakeside resort of Villa Carlos Paz, 700km north-west of Buenos Aires and 30 minutes from Cordoba city.
- Stages based in Cordoba province, ranging from open plains in the Punilla Valley to stunning mountain roads in the Traslasierra mountains.
- Starts with a new Thursday evening super special stage in Villa de Merlo.
- Long stages feature prominently. Friday’s 52km test from Agua de Oro across the Sierras Chicas mountains to Ascochinga and Saturday’s 56km San Marcos - Characato will both run twice.
- The popular super special in Carlos Paz will close Friday’s leg and will be broadcast on live TV.
- Sunday’s final leg will comprise a double pass of the classic El Cóndor test, famed for its moonlike landscape.
- The contrast between the fast stages of the gentle Calamuchita Valley, rugged roads in the plains of the Punilla Valley and rocky, narrow mountain tracks.
- Sandy gravel roads become heavily rutted for the second pass and moving out of the ‘rails’ can pitch a car off the road.
- Many river crossings in the valleys which become wide and deep in wet weather.
- Gravel suspension.
- Drivers raise the ride height to cope with rutted roads for the second pass of stages.
- Hard and soft compound tyres available.
- First run in 1980 in Tucumán province in the north, when it was known as Rally Codasur.
- The 1982 edition was cancelled due to the Falklands War between Britain and Argentina.
- Moved to Bariloche, in the south, in 1983 but found its home in Cordoba in 1984.
- Argentines are passionate soccer fans and in 2007 a stage was held at the River Plate Stadium in Buenos Aires while Cordoba stadium, home to Talleres, has twice hosted stages and the finish.
What’s new for 2015
- Thursday night’s curtain-raiser in Villa de Merlo, 235km from Carlos Paz in San Luis province, has never been held before.
- Two stages north of Carlos Paz will feature roads not used since 2007.
- The fast stages in the Calamuchita valley have been dropped from the itinerary.
- Few vantage points can compare with a place perched high on the roadside rocks at the start of the high altitude El Condor stage. Keep an eye out for the soaring condors too.
- Soak up the crackling atmosphere by joining tens of thousands of enthusiastic Latin American fans at one of the big jumps or in the vast open pampas. It’s fiesta time!
Xion Rally Argentina 2014