Dayinsure Wales Rally GB
|Wales Rally GB|
- Familiar route in mid and north Wales with central service park in Deeside.
- Friday’s opening leg includes the classic Sweet Lamb and Hafren tests. It contains 180km of action, more than the half the event’s total.
- All four stages, which are repeated, will be driven in the opposite direction to normal. Hafren and Sweet Lamb have not been used in this format since 1995 while Myherin has never been tackled this way.
- Saturday includes a double loop of three stages – Dyfi, Gartheiniog and Pantperthog, which has not featured in the rally since 1997.
- Final leg is the most northerly, with the picturesque Brenig again forming the final live TV Power Stage.
- Fast, tree-lined forest tracks are not technically difficult, but made difficult by muddy and slippery conditions.
- Unpredictable weather can bring, rain, snow, ice and fog.
- Uncertain grip as isolated patches of mud or ice can trap the unwary.
- Logs piled high close to the edge of roads must be avoided at all costs.
- Gravel suspension.
- Soft compound tyres essential in cold, wet conditions.
- Studded tyres are banned – even in extreme winter conditions.
- Founded in 1932, 367 crews entered the inaugural Royal Automobile Club Rally.
- Introduction of forest roads in 1960 transformed the rally into what we know today.
- Route formerly included loops around England, Scotland and Wales but the rally has been based solely in Wales since 2000.
- Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium hosted the WRC’s first indoor stage in 2005.
What’s new for 2016
- It moves forward in the calendar to become the penultimate round.
- A return to England for the first time since 1999. A short spectator-friendly parkland test at Cholmondeley Castle closes Saturday’s leg.
- Ceremonial start returns to Colwyn Bay while Llandudno hosts the finish.
- No mid-leg service on any of the three days.
- Superb viewing at Sweet Lamb’s famous arena on Friday. Drivers tackle the test twice.
- As the climax to Chester Rally Week, competitors will pause in the historic city for the first time in 20 years on Friday evening.