The leading two-wheel drive category was launched in 2013 as the intermediate step on the WRC ladder and became instantly popular among younger drivers.
The R3 cars that lead this championship are reminiscent of the Super 1600 cars that propelled the careers of Sébastien Ogier, Sébastien Loeb, Kris Meeke and Dani Sordo.
Look out for – Citroen DS3 R3T, Renault Clio R3 (a new version is expected in mid-2014), Honda Civic R3 and Toyota GT86 R3 (likely homologation in late 2014).
Getting technical –
- R3 cars are the primary category
- Two-wheel drive cars only, normally front-wheel drive.
- 1.6-litre turbocharged engines or up to 2.0-litre normally aspirated units.
- Six-speed sequential transmission.
- Also eligible are the smaller R2 cars, as well as the much older Super 1600 and two-wheel drive Group A rally cars.