World Rally Cars - WRC
The principal category in the WRC and driven by the sport’s superstars such as Sébastien Ogier, Thierry Neuville and Mikko Hirvonen.
Look out for - Ford Fiesta RS WRC, Citroen DS3, Volkswagen Polo R, Hyundai i20, Mini John Cooper Works
Getting technical –
- Open to cars complying with the new class RC1 technical regulations.
- 1.6-litre, fuel injection, turbocharged, four cylinder engines fitted with a 33mm air intake restrictor.
- Power output restricted to about 300bhp.
- Cylinder block and head based on those in the standard road car.
- Modifications allowed to crankshafts, con rods, pistons, cylinder linings, valves and camshafts.
- Permanent four-wheel drive transmission and sequential gearboxes.
- Mechanical front and rear differentials.
- 0-100kph in less than 4sec.
- Top speed exceeding 200kph.
- 7 x 15inch wheels for gravel, 8 x 18inch wheels for asphalt.
- 300mm brakes for gravel, 355mm brakes for asphalt.