Rally Italia Sardegna
|Rally Italia Sardegna|
- Alghero, on the west coast of the Mediterranean island, hosts the service park for a second year.
- A partly-new street stage in the southern city of Cagliari kicks off the action on Thursday night, with competitors overnighting there.
- Friday’s opening leg near Oristano is new, with some roads never driven before and others unused since 2011.
- Saturday is a marathon with more than 200km of stages, some in the opposite direction to last year.
- It includes the stomach-churning Micky’s Jump in Monte Lerno and a test at Ippodromo di Chilivani horse racing track.
- The final leg north of Alghero contains the new Monte Baranta test and the Cala Flumini coastal run.
- Fast but narrow roads lined with bushes, trees or rocks right on the edge leave no room for error.
- Hard base roads covered by a sandy surface, which is swept away during the first pass to leave rougher and rutted conditions for the second run.
- Thin layer of slippery gravel on the surface disadvantages early starters in the opening leg.
- Temperatures approach 30°C so it will be uncomfortable in the cars with higher than normal stress on engines and transmissions.
- Gravel suspension.
- Drivers raise the ride height for rutted roads during the second pass of stages.
- Hard and soft compound tyres available.
- Italy’s WRC counter was formerly a mixed surface event based in Sanremo, and known as the Rally of the Flowers when it was first held in 1928.
- It formed part of the WRC from the championship’s beginning in 1973.
- Michèle Mouton became the first and only woman to win a WRC round when she triumphed in 1981.
- The rally moved to the Mediterranean island of Sardinia in 2004.
What’s new for 2015
- An overnight halt on Thursday in Cagliari.
- Saturday’s leg is the longest in the WRC since 2012.
- Less than a third of the stage distance is the same as 2014.
- The spectacular Micky’s Jump in the Monte Lerno test. The road literally falls away beneath the car and it’s one for the brave and fully committed…….