Neste Oil Rally Finland
|Neste Oil Rally Finland|
- 2015 route details yet to be announced.
- University town of Jyväskylä is the hub of everything and Paviljonki service park in the centre draws huge crowds.
- Classic smooth gravel stages among forests and lakes with massive jumps.
- A mix of hard, wide roads with narrower more technical sections.
- Flat out from start to finish. It is affectionately known as the Finnish Grand Prix and nine of the 10 fastest WRC rallies have been here.
- Pace notes must be perfect. Blind crests often hide corners and it’s vital to position the car correctly before take-off to ensure maximum speed through the bend.
- Speeds are so high that time differences are small and there is little opportunity to regain time after a mistake.
- One of the hardest rallies for co-drivers as high speeds demand a constant, pinpoint accurate delivery of pace notes.
- Mastering the jumps. If the speed is too high, the car’s aerodynamics will force the back down and the front will rise. The tactic is to brake before take-off and accelerate full throttle over the jump.
- Gravel suspension.
- Packed gravel roads mean soft compound tyres are the usual choice, but hard compound rubber is also available.
- Super-smooth stages mean cars can be prepared in the knowledge that mechanical issues are rare.
- Dates back to 1951 when it was launched as a means of deciding the Finnish entries for Rallye Monte-Carlo.
- It took on the name 1000 Lakes Rally and was included in the calendar for the WRC in its first year in 1973.
- It has been dominated by Finnish drivers who have won 52 of the 64 editions. Top of the roll of honour are Hannu Mikkola and Marcus Grönholm with seven wins.
What’s new for 2015
- Update coming soon.
- Ouninpohja – fast, full of sweeping bends and roller-coaster jumps and regarded as the WRC’s ultimate test of skill and bravery. See one of the big jumps or go to the famous Kakaristo hairpin where the wide roads become narrow at a sharp right turn.
- The party atmosphere. Jyväskylä is the ultimate rally town and no visit would be complete without a night out in one of the many bars in the main street. Drinks are not cheap though…..